Cost per serving $12.69 view details
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 lrg shallots sliced
- 1Â 1/2 lb mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. Zinfandel
- 1/2 c. ruby Port
- 1/2 c. low-salt chicken broth
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1Â 1/4 lb top sirloin steak, abt 3/4" to 1" thick
- 3/4 tsp freshly-grnd black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in shallots; saute/fry 2 min. Add in mushrooms; cover and cook 5 min. Uncover and saute/fry till mushrooms are browned, about 10 min. Add in flour and stir 1 minute. Add in Zinfandel, Port, and broth. Boil till sauce thickens sufficient to coat spoon thinly, stirring occasionally, about 10 min. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place steak between sheets of waxed paper. Using mallet or possibly rolling pin, lb. steak to 1/2-inch thickness. Coat both sides of steak with 3/4 tsp. pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. butter in another heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in steak to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 2 min per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to work surface; don't clean skillet. Add in mushrooom sauce to skillet; bring to simmer, scraping up any browned bits.
- Thinly slice steak; transfer to platter. Spoon mushroom sauce over and serve.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: Jason Corrigan, chef at A Touch of Garlic in Springfield, Massachusetts, writes: "In the past, I've worked at large restaurants, catering to hundreds of people every night. Which alone taught me every possible shortcut to speed up the cooking process: For instance, slicing raw potatoes to reduce boiling time, pounding meat thin so it cooks more quickly, and of course, the mise en place - getting everything prepped so you're just reaching for ingredients at the last minute."
- Pounding the meat reduces cooking time.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 397g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 149||37%|
|Total Fat 16.77g||21%|
|Saturated Fat 8.74g||35%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.95g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|