Cost per serving $0.98 view details
- 1Â 1/2 lb zucchini divided or possibly 4 medium
- 4 Tbsp. garlic extra virgin olive oil divided
- 8 ounce penne pasta see note
- Â Â water
- Â Â salt and black pepper
- SAUCE: Wash zucchini. Cut 1 1/2 zucchini into thick rounds. Cut rounds in half and place in a small saucepan. Add in sufficient salted water to just cover. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover pan. Cook for 15 min. Using a slotted spoon, transfer zucchini to a blender. Add in 1/2 c. cooking water and 1 tsp. garlic infused extra virgin olive oil. Process till very smooth. Add in kosher salt and freshly grnd black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- ZUCCHINI: Trim end of remaining zucchini and throw away. Cut zucchini as meticulously as possible into 1/4-inch cubes. Heat remaining oil in large nonstick skillet, add in zucchini cubes, and saute/fry over high heat till zucchini softens and turns golden brown. Add in a liberal amount of salt and pepper to taste. Keep hot.
- PASTA: Bring large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Add in pasta and cook for 12 to 14 min till pasta is tender, a big longer than for al dente. Drain pasta thoroughly.
- SERVING: Divide pasta among shallow soup bowls. Distribute cooked zucchini and oil proportionately over pasta. Heat zucchini garlic sauce and pour over pasta. Add in a grinding of pepper. Serve immediately.
- NOTES: Rozanne Gold's approach to low fat cooking has evolved into a technique where a vegetable plays double duty: the dish and the sauce. I tried her penne with zucchini tossed with a zucchini garlic sauce and loved it. A bit of work for "few ingredient" cooking!! but the reward was high.
- note - To rozanne - lowfat is really low cholesterol. extra virgin olive oil is a good thing. She allows 1 Tbsp. oil per serving. I think I halved her suggestion and the pasta was good. I will leave it to you to EDIT the recipe!-)
- Description: "What makes this version different is combining two flavors of zucchini. One browned by sauteing; the other steamed and pureed. Garlic-oil ties it all together.-pat"
- NOTES : This makes large portions. Use tri-colored penne for visual appeal; whole-wheat penne for added fiber and nutrients. Substitute Jerusalem artichoke pasta if you are allergic to gluten.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 475g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 10||4%|
|Total Fat 1.18g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.23g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.2g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|