One of my favorite pasta sauce's is Puttanesca sauce. I love the combination of olives, capers, anchovies and garlic to the tomatoe sauce. I always keep these ingredients in my pantry and a great way to have variety when you don't know what to make. In this sauce, I added tuna and it was fantastic. This is simple, quick and a classic!
- 1 can chopped plum tomotoes (16 oz)
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 anchovy filets, chopped
- 1 can of tuna (5 oz in oil)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cured black olives, sliced
- 2 tbsp capers, soaked and drained
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes (of course i add a little more to my plate!)
- pinch of dry oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 lb pene rigati or your favorite pasta
- 1/2 cup of pasta water
- Using a large pot, cook the pasta according to the pasta instructions until it is al dente.
- While the pasta water is boiling.......begin the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and anchovy for a minute. Stir occasionally. Add the tomatoes, tuna (with oil), capers, olives, oregano, chili flakes and lower the heat to low.
- Drain the pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and add it to the sauce.
- Add the pasta to the sauce pan and stir for a minute letting the sauce mix well. Before serving, add the fresh parsley. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Serve with a fresh salad of romaine lettuce, drizzle olive oil, add some black olives and shavings of Parmigiano.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 133g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 55||14%|
|Total Fat 6.32g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1.11g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.86g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|