Ahh...the wonderfully decadent PECAN Pie. I am not going to tell you that I have re-invented this favourite classic! However, I am going to share with you my transformed version. To start with...it has a base crust made from Graham cookie crumbs. Secondly, and most importantly I finally found the right sweet balance to eliminate the corn syrup. Anyone who's tried this pie never missed out on the traditional preparation.
- > American / Metric measures<
- . CRUST:
- . 1-1/2 cup (135 gr) Graham Cookie crumbs
- . 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter (melted)
- . 1/8 cup (30 ml) maple syrup or Agave Nectar *
- . FILLING:
- . 1/4 cup (60 ml) melted butter (set aside)
- . 4 large eggs
- . 1/2 cup (100 gr) dark brown sugar (packed)
- . 1/2 cup (120 ml) maple syrup
- . 1/4 cup (60ml) mild natural honey
- . 1/4 cup (60ml) organic Agave Nectar *
- . 1 1/2 tsp.(7.5ml) vanilla extract
- . pinch of sea salt
- . 1 cup (120 gr) pecans (non-roasted)
- . > NOTE: Pecans can sometimes be replaced successfully with walnuts.
- . >> A ' Pate BrisÃ©e ' crust suits itself wonderfully to this pie. (This will have to be placed in a ' Press-out ' pan...and only baked 3/4 of the way.)
- . >>>The thick sweet custard can be adjusted according to your sweet tooth. A little experimenting may be required. I personally like my desserts mildly sweet.
- . Oven Setting: Set rack on 2nd shelf from bottom of the oven. Pre-heat to pre-bake the crust at 350F/180C/Gas 4...Use a 9 inch (23cm) pie plate.
- . CRUST: In a blender: crush the cookies and pour in the butter as well as the sweet syrup. Pulsate until a fairly pasty-type crumble appears. Spread the crumb mixture into the buttered pie plate. With the aid of a spoon or spatula...spread and pat down the crust uniformly on the bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake crust for about 8 minutes at 350F/180C/Gas4. Take out the pie crust to have it cool completely. IMPORTANT: Now that the crust is made...CRANK up the oven temp. to 375F/190C/Gas 5 to get it ready to bake the complete pie.
- . CUSTARD: Melt the butter ahead of time and have it cool to room temperature. Set aside. In a medium bowl, BEAT together: eggs, sweeteners, vanilla extract, salt and melted butter.
- . ASSEMBLY and BAKING: Pour all the custard in the well cooled graham cookie crust. Sprinkle the pecans liberally throughout the custard's surface by slightly dipping /coating them within this mix. Place into the oven and bake at 375F/190C/Gas 5...for 15 minutes. Afterwards, LOWER the temp. to 350F/180C/Gas 4... for 20 minutes more. Once taken out of the oven...it can be served within the following hour at room temperature.
- . Note: If planning to eat the pie that same day or the few days to come...whatever you do...please remember NOT to cover the pie. Leave it uncovered to avoid it becoming humid!
- . Happy baking and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 43g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 41||41%|
|Total Fat 4.68g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1.94g||8%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.96g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|