in the Southern Hemisphere we are in winter so soup is a good warmer in the evenings ,here are some soups I found while browsing on the I africa…
This soup is a blend of peas and asparagus, both of which used on their own also make super soups, but blend the two flavours and you have a rich tasty soup that is even better.
- 400 g fresh green asparagus spears
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tin of processed peas, well drained
- 600ml chicken stock (you can substitute with vegetable stock)
- 220ml water
- 250 ml thick cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (not olive oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried or Fresh tarragon
- Cut off asparagus tips and set aside.
- Chop stalks coarsely and steam stalks over 300ml water for three minutes, then set aside.
- Using same water, cook the asparagus tips for three minutes Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon and put aside (Donât throw the water away â use it in the soup).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat and add the cooking oil .
- Add onion and gently sautÃ© until just done (don't let it brown) Add the potatoes and asparagus water and cook until potato is tender.
- Add the peas and the asparagus (keep some of the tips aside).
- Add stock and tarragon, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a blender purÃ©e soup and return to saucepan.
- Season with salt and pepper, reheat (but don't let it boil).
- Add the cream and the asparagus tips.
- Serve in heated bowls, with crusty bread.
- * Consider adding a tot of brandy or dry sherry.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 591g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 195||50%|
|Total Fat 22.24g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 11.71g||47%|
|Trans Fat 0.09g|
|Total Carbs 37.78g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.4g||31%|