Cost per serving $12.39 view details
- 4 lb Clams, steamed & minced,
- 2 can (6.5-ounce) chopped clams
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med Yellow onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Bell pepper, minced fine
- 2 Tbsp. Flour
- 1/4 c. Minced parsley
- 1/2 tsp Basil
- 1 c. Clam nectar or possibly juice from the canned clams
- 3 x Cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1/4 c. Dry white wine
- 1 c. Whipping cream
- Â Â Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 dsh Tabasco
- 1 dsh Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- SERVES 3-4
- It is impossible to have too many variations on white clam sauce. In Seattle/Tacoma we could live on this dish. As a matter of fact, some weeks I have lived on clams and pasta. The green pepper adds a new little twist to an old standard. While I will admit which it was the ltalian immigrant who taught us how to prepare this, it is nevertheless a very American version. I think Thomas Jefferson would have loved this dish.
- If using fresh clams, steam them and remove the meat from the shells (see
- "Steamed Clams" recipe), reserving the nectar. Chop the meat. Save some of the nectar for this recipe and serve the remaining nectar in a c. with a bit of freshly grnd black pepper on top.
- Heat a frying pan and add in the extra virgin olive oil. Saute/fry the yellow onion and green pepper till the onion is clear. Stir in the flour, parsley, and basil and remove to a bowl.
- Reheat the frying pan and add in the clam juice or possibly nectar, along with the garlic, and reduce by half. Add in the wine and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the vegetables with a whip, stirring as they cook so which the mix can thicken. Cook over medium heat for a few min to further reduce and thicken the sauce. Add in the remaining seasonings, including the lemon juice. Stir in the clams and pour over the freshly cooked pasta.
- This works well as a first course, and great as a main course along with salad and perhaps Skillet Bread (see recipe).
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 967g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 324||24%|
|Total Fat 36.7g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 12.1g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 151.32g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.0g||20%|