Cost per serving $2.35 view details
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. minced onion
- 3/4 c. minced celery
- 3 x garlic cloves chopped
- 1 x bay leaf
- 3Â 1/4 c. canned low-salt chicken broth or possibly more if needed
- Â Â (or possibly substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, chickpeas - (15 ounce) rinsed, liquid removed
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp dry crushed red pepper
- 1/2 c. uncooked small elbow macaroni
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. minced fresh Italian parsley
- 4 Tbsp. freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add in onion, celery, garlic and bay leaf; saute/fry till onion is golden brown and tender, about 7 min. Add in 3 1/4 c. broth, garbanzo beans, tomato paste and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil.
- Add in macaroni; reduce heat to medium and boil gently till macaroni is very tender, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if mix is dry, about 15 min (mix will be thick but some broth should remain). Season with salt and pepper. Throw away bay leaf. Stir in parsley and 1 Tbsp. oil.
- Ladle pasta mix into 4 bowls. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- This recipe yields 4 first-course servings.
- Comments: A wonderful first course, to be followed by roasted meat with vegetables. Pass some additional grated Parmesan cheese if you're not concerned about a few extra calories.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 414g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 87||24%|
|Total Fat 9.89g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 1.56g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.62g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.7g||26%|