I'm a big fan of Italian food and Pasta tops my list!
I had this packet of shell pasta and wanted to make something really special. I have never tried making white sauce or bechamel sauce before and so I wanted to something new (as usual) and guess what, It came out great and tasted just as well too!
This dish can also be served cold and eaten as a pasta salad and you may add more veggies as you like.
Try it out, its so creamy and delicious, you wont want to stop eating :-)
- Pasta (any kind) - 2 cups ( I used Shell pasta)
- Water ( to boil pasta)
- Sausage / Bacon / Panchetta- 2
- Mushroom - 2 cups
- Green peas - 1 cup
- Onion - 1/2 cup
- Olive oil - 3 tbsp
- For White Sauce:
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Heavy Cream - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup ( or you may substitute cream & milk with 1cup half and half )
- All purpose flour - 2 tsp
- Parmesan cheese - 2 tbsp (grated)
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Boil water and once it starts bubbling , add salt (use enough salt to flavour the pasta well) and add the Pasta Shells. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil ( this helps in the pasta not sticking to each other )
- In a frying pan heat 2tbsp of olive oil. Cut the sausage into small cubes fry the sausages. ( I dint have panchetta or bacon, you may use whatever you like for a mild salty bite )
- Keep aside the fried sausage cubes and add onions into the pan and saute them till they turn pink.
- Add the mushrooms and green peas and some salt to taste.
- Once the mushrooms are mildly cooked add the sausage cubes, mix well and keep aside.
- To prepare the white sauce, use a saucepan and melt the butter.
- Add the all purpose flour and keep stirring to avoid any lumps being formed.
- Reduce heat and add the cream and milk or half n half and keep stirring till the sauce thickens, then add the freshly grated parmesan cheese. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder up to your taste.
- Once the Pasta Shells are cooked Al dente add them into the white sauce.
- You may add some pasta water if required to loosen the pasta-sauce mixture and keep on low heat.
- Mix in the sausage, mushrooms and peas.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 113g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 220||86%|
|Total Fat 24.9g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 9.62g||38%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 6.25g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|