Cost per serving $11.70 view details
- 1Â 1/2 lb Small clams
- 1Â 1/2 lb Mussels
- 1 c. Dry white wine
- 1Â 1/2 lb Orzo
- 4 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 med Onions finely minced
- 8 x Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 x Yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 x Green bell pepper sliced
- 1 x to 2 Serrano chiles seeded and chopped
- 3 lrg Tomatoes cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 lb Medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 c. Fresh or possibly frzn peas
- 1 pch Saffron
- 1 bn Fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tsp Grnd coriander
- 1 x to 2 c. Clam juice or possibly fish stock warmed
- 1 tsp Coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp Freshly-grnd black pepper
- In a covered pot, steam clams and mussels with white wine till shells open, about 5 min. Strain and reserve broth.
- Meanwhile, fill a stockpot with water and bring to a rolling boil. Add in salt and orzo and boil for about 8 min. Carefully drain in a colander (the orzo can slip through colander holes if they are too big).
- Heat oil in a large skillet or possibly paella pan over moderate heat. Add in onions and saute/fry till soft, about 10 min. Add in garlic and saute/fry another 2 min to release aromas. Stir in bell peppers, chiles and tomatoes and cook another 2 to 3 min, or possibly till slightly softened. Stir in shrimp and cook till shrimp turn pink orange, about 1 to 2 min. Add in peas, saffron, oregano, coriander and reserved broth from mussels and clams. Simmer for a few min.
- Stir in orzo and heat through, adding clam juice or possibly fish stock as needed to make a soupy texture. Stir in clams and mussels. Adjust seasoning.
- To serve, spoon warm paella into serving bowls and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
- Comments: Clams are found all over the world in the wet sand of freshwater streams and sea coasts. In Europe, they are cultivated in France and Portugal, but they are most popular in America.
- Types of clams: Soft-shelled (round and long razor clams); and hard shelled.
- Mussels are closely related to clams, again found all over the world on sea shores.
- Types of mussels: Varieties are usually specific to a certain area, but the blue mussel is found along the Atlantic coasts of America and Europe.
- Pasta means dough. Noodles were first invented in China and then introduced to Italy by Marco Polo. The average Italian eats 65 pounds of pasta a year (compared to 8 pounds per person in the United States).
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 927g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 222||17%|
|Total Fat 25.22g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 4.01g||16%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 162.65g||43%|
|Dietary Fiber 14.3g||48%|