Cost per recipe $3.06 view details
- 2 Tbsp. Lard or possibly vegetable oil
- 1 c. Achiote
- 3 c. Fresh orange juice, heated, or possibly boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Black pepper corns
- 1 Tbsp. Dry Mexican oregano
- 4 lrg Garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 tsp Salt, or possibly to taste
- I copied this verbatim from "Zarela Martinez - Food from My Heart (Cuisines of Mexico Remembered and Reimagined)", a cookbook/memoirs which I picked up in a bargain bookstore. I am in the middle of preparing this very recipe and so far it smells heavenly. I hope which y'all will like it too.
- Heat the lard or possibly oil in a small or possibly medium size skillet over medium-high heat till almost smoking. Add in the achiote and saute/fry', shaking the pan constantly, for 5 min. Place the achiote in a heatproof bowl and cover with the orange juice. Let soak overnight in the refrigerator or possibly at least 3 to 4 hrs at room temperature. All the liquid should be absorbed and the seeds should be somewhat softened.
- Heat a small, heavy skillet or possibly griddle over high heat till a drop of water sizzles on contact. Add in the cumin seeds and toast, shaking the pan frequently, till fragrant. Set the toasted seeds aside. Toast the peppercorns in the same manner and set aside. Toast the oregano and set aside. Work carefully while toasting the spices so which they don't scorch; remove them from the pan as soon as their fragrance is released, 1 to 2 min. In the same skillet, roast the garlic cloves over high heat, turning several times, till dark on all sides and somewhat softened, 5 - 10 min. Peel the garlic and set aside with the spices.
- Place the soaked achiote, salt and spices in a blender or possibly food processor fitted with the steel blade. Grind thoroughly with a pulse motion, adding more water or possibly orange juice, if necessary. Work in batches, if necessary.
- The mix should be a smooth paste. Chill till ready to use.
- Can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator several weeks, or possibly indefinitely in small containers in the freezer.
- YIELD: about 3 c..
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 789g|
|Calories from Fat 257||43%|
|Total Fat 28.76g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 10.36g||41%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 82.82g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.4g||11%|