Cost per serving $1.23 view details
- 12 ounce dry rotini or possibly penne
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med onion, finely minced
- 1 lrg garlic clove, chopped
- 28 ounce canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or possibly to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly grnd pepper
- 10 ounce frzn baby peas, (2 c.)
- 1/2 c. oil-cured black olives, pitted (optional)
- 1/2 c. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Â Â Freshly grated Romano or possibly Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- 4 SERVINGS DAIRY-FREE
- MEAL PLAN: While the sauce is cooking, make a salad of arugula, sliced Belgian endive, minced red onion and a low-fat red wine vinaigrette. Add in a loaf of focaccia purchased from a bakery or possibly supermarket. Wrap the loaf in foil and hot at 350F for about 10 min before serving.
- This richly flavored version of an Italian country classic uses much less oil than the original without sacrificing any of the superb taste.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add in pasta; stir to prevent sticking. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, till just tender, about 10 min.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium-high beat. Add in onion and cook, stirring often, till beginning to brown, 5 to 6 min. Add in garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add in tomatoes with liquid, breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Stir in salt, red pepper flakes and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, till mix is slightly thickened, about 6 min.
- Stir in peas and olives if you like and heat through, about 2 min.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Drain pasta and transfer to shallow serving bowl. Add in sauce and toss to combine. Serve warm, sprinkled with grated cheese if you like.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 390g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 39||9%|
|Total Fat 4.52g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.88g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 84.02g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.6g||29%|