Cost per serving $2.23 view details
- 1Â 1/2 c. water
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 c. dark brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/3 c. rice vinegar
- 2Â 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. lemon juice plus
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp minced green onion - (rounded)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- 4 x chicken breast fillets
- 1 c. ice water
- 1 x egg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1Â 1/2 c. unsifted cake flour
- 2 c. vegetable oil - (to 4 c.)
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients - except the cornstarch and arrowroot - in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir often while bringing mix to a boil. When sauce reaches a boil, remove it from heat and allow it to cold a bit, uncovered.
- Slice chicken breasts into bite-size chunks. Remove exactly 1 c. of the marinade from the pan and pour it over the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag or possibly other container that allows the chicken to be completely covered with the marinade. Chicken should marinate for at least a couple hrs. Cover remaining sauce and leave it to cold till the chicken is ready.
- When chicken has marinated, preheat 2-inches of vegetable oil in a wok or possibly skillet to 350 degrees.
- Combine cornstarch with arrowroot in a small bowl, then add in 3 Tbsp. of water. Stir till cornstarch and arrowroot have dissolved. Pour this mix into the sauce and set the pan over high heat. When sauce begins to bubble and thickens cover and remove from heat.
- Beat together the ice water and egg in a medium bowl. Add in baking soda and salt. Add in 3/4 c. of the flour and stir with a fork just till the flour is blended into the mix. The batter should still be lumpy.
- Sprinkle another 1/4 c. of flour on top of the batter and mix with only one or possibly two strokes. Most of this flour will still be floating on top of the mix. Put the remaining flour (1/2 c.) into a medium bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken first into the flour, then into the batter. Let some of the batter drip off and then slide the chicken into the oil. Fry up to 1/2 of the chicken pcs at a time for 3 to 4 min, or possibly till golden. Flip the chicken over halfway through the cooking time. Remove the chicken to a rack or possibly paper towels to drain.
- As the chicken cooks, reheat the sauce left covered on the stove. Stir occasionally.
- When all of the chicken is done, pour it into a large bowl, and cover with the thickened sauce. Stir gently till all of the pcs are well coated.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 559g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1094||67%|
|Total Fat 123.45g||154%|
|Saturated Fat 12.22g||49%|
|Trans Fat 2.98g|
|Total Carbs 99.81g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|