Cost per serving $2.53 view details
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 piece fresh ginger - (abt 2") cut in half
- 1 pch sugar
- 1/3 c. rice vinegar
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp Sambal
- 1 lb hard tofu
- 1 c. bread crumbs Panko preferred
- 1 pch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp warm paprika
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 x Large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 1 x dry Hawaiian chile minced
- 1 lb Chinese broccoli roughly minced
- 1/2 lb udon noodles cooked
- 1 bn green onions julienned
- 1/4 c. minced cilantro
- 1/2 c. peanuts roasted and salted
- To prepare the soup, in a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the vegetable broth, ginger, sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sambal. Allow to simmer 15 min to mingle the flavors.
- To prepare the tofu steaks, cut the tofu block lengthwise, then cut in half to make 4 slabs. Lay several layers of paper towels on a cutting board then place the tofu, side by side, on top. Cover the steaks with more paper towels and press down to drain out some of the water in the curd (making it denser and hold together better when cooked.)
- Combine the bread crumbs, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper. Dip each piece of tofu into the beaten Large eggs then dredge in the seasoned bread crumbs to coat.
- Heat peanut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the tofu steaks 4 min each side. Remove to a platter lined with fresh paper towels.
- Add in sesame oil to the skillet, stir-fry the ginger and garlic with the chili for 2 min to build a base flavor. Add in the broccoli and saute/fry 3 min till it begins to soften, season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the udon noodles and spicy broth among 4 bowls. Add in the broccoli then lay a piece of tofu on top. Garnish with a sprinkle of green onions, cilantro, and peanuts before serving.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 590g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 263||66%|
|Total Fat 29.47g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 5.05g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 18.28g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.6g||19%|