I had all of the ingredients I needed although I had to change things up a little from the traditional paella. I used brown rice instead of bomba or calasparra white rice. And, of course, this paella is vegetarian.
- 1 bag quick cook brown rice
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1 medium banana or green pepper, cut into short strips
- 1/2 large Vidalia onion, coarse chopped
- 1/2 medium zucchini, sliced round and quartered
- 1 can (4 oz.) green chilis
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4 Veggie sausage patties, diced (we use Morningstar Farms)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon saffron strands
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, shallow skillet. Add in the onion,
- zucchini, garlic, peppers and chilis and cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add the sausage and continue to cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, paprika and saffron. Stir to mix well and cook until
- heated through.
- When cooked, plate and garnish with diced tomatoes. Serve with
- avocado slices, organic blue corn or lime tortilla chips and salsa
- and a side of refried beans. Compliment the dish with an icy margarita or sangria on the rocks.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 146g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 76||63%|
|Total Fat 8.56g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 1.64g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 10.23g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||7%|