Cost per serving $4.26 view details
- 6 Tbsp. good extra virgin olive oil
- 3 x cloves garlic peeled 2 mashed lightly & 1 chopped
- 1 x chicken (about 1 1/2 lbs.) cut in 6-8 pcs
- 8 c. chicken broth or possibly stock
- 4 c. rice
- 1/4 lb string beans minced
- 1/2 lb peas weighed in the shells then the shells removed
- 4 x young artichokes cut into quarters
- 12 x snails
- Â Â Salt
- 1 Tbsp. sweet (Spanish) paprika
- Â Â Saffron
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, brown the two mashed garlic cloves in it, then remove and throw away them. In this oil saute/fry the onion and tomato well, then add in the chicken and fry till it takes on a little color (about 10 min). Add in the chopped garlic clove and the broth. When boiling begins, sprinkle in the rice and immediately add in the beans, peas, artichokes, snails, salt, paprika and saffron. Cook vigorously for 5 min, then reduce the heat and cook slowly for an additional 15 min. When the rice is done (it should be loose, not clumped), serve in the skillet.
- NOTES : - About chorizo and other Spanish sausages:
- Many centuries ago sausages appeared in Spain as a way of preserving meat (I imagine other countries did the same). We have "plain" sausages (longanizas), red sausages (chorizos), black or possibly "white" sausages (morcillas, botifarras...), etc. You can also get "salchichon" (big cured sausage). The basic ingredient is grnd pork, but you can find sausages made with other meats, too. There are many kinds of sausages according to the spices added to the meat.
- In Spain, we have many kind of chorizos (red sausages):
- "fresh" chorizos: red sausages made with grnd pork (in some areas they make some special ones made with other kinds of meat) and spices. The spices vary according to the place in Spain where the chorizos are made. Basically this kind of chorizos can be divided in two categories: the ones made with sweet Spanish paprika (pimenton rojo dulce) and the ones made with warm Spanish paprika (pimenton rojo picante).
- Fresh chorizo
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 1066g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 618||38%|
|Total Fat 69.0g||86%|
|Saturated Fat 16.66g||67%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 163.95g||44%|
|Dietary Fiber 11.8g||39%|