Oh my goodness…Wait until you taste this amazing potato dish! It’s pretty much the riches low fat or regular potato dish I’ve ever tasted. No one will ever guess it’s made with reduced-fat cottage cheese and buttermilk to replace the heavy cream. The skinny for one serving is 177 calories, 2 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. I love making this side dish for any special dinner and it will be terrific to serve for the holidays. It’s so simple to make and can be baked in advance too.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1Â½ cups reduced-fat (2%) cottage cheese
- â cup buttermilk
- 3Â½ pounds russet potato (~4 large baking potatoes)
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cover a baking pan with foil. Line the inside of a 9-inch springform pan with foil too. Spray the foil-lined pan with cooking spray.
- 2. Place onions on a microwave safe plate and cook for about 4 minutes in the microwave until soft.
- 3. In a food processor or blender, add the cooked onions, cottage cheese, buttermilk and process until smooth. Pour enough of the mixture to coat the bottom of the spring-form pan.
- 4. Peel all the potatoes. Slice each very thin by hand or using a mandoline. Arrange 2 layers of slices on the pan. Start at the edge and work in, overlapping slightly. Press down on potatoes then spread with about â of cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Layer remaining potatoes and cheese 2 more times, ending with cheese mixture. Season with a little salt and pepper and top with remaining Parmesan cheese (It made be made to this point, covered and refrigerated up to 1 day ahead).
- 6. Cover pan with foil and place on foil-lined pan because it tends to leak while cooking. Bake until potatoes are tender, about 1Â¼ hours. Remove foil cover and continue baking until cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 7. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan. Un-mold and slice into wedges.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 190g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 9||6%|
|Total Fat 0.98g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.56g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 31.48g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.6g||9%|