Beef Shanks flavored with Pacifico beer.
I love the traditional Osso bucco milanese but wanted to experiment. I enjoyed Guiness stew while visiting Ireland and also wanted the convenience of a slow cooker. I had Pacifico beer at home and hence Osso Bucco Pacifico was born.
I served this with couscous and a medley of vegetables glazed with balsalmic vinegar and ponzu sauce.
- 2 large beef shanks cut 1 1/2 inch per slice
- 1 1/2 lbs of tri tip beef cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of diced carrots
- 1/2 cup of diced celery
- 1/3 cup of purple onions diced
- about 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup of chicken broth low salt
- 1 1/3 cups of Pacifico beer
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Herbes d'Provence
- Pinch of Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- Optional: Gremolata is added in the last 1/2 hour. This consists of 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, 1/2 teaspoon orange rind and 1/2 cup chopped parsley.
- 1. Season flour with salt and pepper and put inside a gallon freezer bag. Put the beef shanks inside the bag and shake until coated, then place in a reserved plate. Do the same with the beef pieces.
- 2. Pour olive oil in a frying pan and brown the beef shanks and beef, turning halfway. Place the browned beef and shanks in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- 3. Add the diced carrots, celery, and onions to the frying pan and saute until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add the vegetables to the slow cooker.
- 4. Pour the chicken broth and Pacifico beer. Add the tomato paste, soy sauce, sugar, thyme, and Herbes d'Provence. Sprinkle with pinch of salt and ground pepper.
- 5. Simmer on high for 4 hours and check. If there is still a lot of liquid, take out about 3/4 cup of broth and discard. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper to taste. To thicken the broth, use 1 teaspoon of corn starch mixed with a tablespoon of the broth and add this to the slow cooker.
- 6. Lower the heat to low and simmer for another 1/2 hour.
- 7. Serve with couscous and vegetables
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 149g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 140||59%|
|Total Fat 15.83g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 2.26g||9%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.36g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|