Are the tomatoes ready in your garden? No matter. This sandwich uses green tomatoes and if you don’t have a garden find green ones at your farmers’ market or ask the produce manager at your grocery store to fix you up.
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 1 cup onion ring batter mix (dry)
- 1 cup milk
- Oil to fry
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 slices of packaged sliced smoked cheddar cheese
- Slice tomatoes into Â¼â slices.
- Salt both sides and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Drain tomatoes and pat dry.
- Dip in milk then in dry batter mix.
- Fry, turning, until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Spread 1 Â½ teaspoons of margarine on each side of bread.
- Grill bread slices in skillet over med-hi until browned on each side.
- Remove bread and spread 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
- Top each slice with Â¼ of the fried tomatoes.
- Top with 1 Â½ slices of the cheese.
- Put under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Cut each slice in half if desired.
- Makes 4 open faced sandwiches.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 246g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 356||59%|
|Total Fat 40.25g||50%|
|Saturated Fat 14.05g||56%|
|Trans Fat 2.09g|
|Total Carbs 42.17g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|