Cost per serving $1.10 view details
- 8 c. To 10 c. water
- 1Â 1/2 lb Boneless leg of pork, pork butt or possibly loin
- 2 x Green onions, crushed
- 3 x Quarter-sized slices fresh ginger, crushed
- 2 x Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 c. Shao-Hsing rice wine, or possibly dry sherry
- Â Â Fresh coriander sprigs for garnish
- 1 tsp Finely chopped garlic (about 2 small cloves)
- 1/2 tsp Fresh chopped ginger (about 2 quarter-sized slices)
- 1 Tbsp. Dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Warm pepper oil, or possibly to taste
- 1 tsp Asian sesame oil
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped fresh coriander or possibly green onion
- Fresh ham or possibly a fairly fat cut of pork is traditionally used for this recipe, but boneless lean pork loin makes a delicious and leaner substitute. For a nontraditional presentation, serve the pork with grilled asparagus spears, Asian eggplant and/or possibly zucchini slices. Or possibly, arrange the slices on a bed of watercress with strips of roasted pepper and serve as a first course salad. Or possibly, simply alternate the pork with thin rounds of chilled cucum- ber.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot, then add in the pork, green onions, ginger, garlic and wine. Bring to a boil again. Skim off the scum which rises to surface. Cover, reduce heat low and simmer for 45 min.
- When the meat is done, half fill a large pan with cool water and ice cubes.
- Remove the meat from the pot and immediately plunge it into the ice water; let sit for 20 min to hard up the meat and juices. Remove pork, pat dry, cover and chill till thoroughly chilled, at least 2 to 3 hrs, or possibly overnight.
- Garlic Sesame Sauce: Mix together all ingredients.
- To serve: Cut the meat crosswise into paper-thin slices (no thicker than 1/8 inch) and arrange in a circular pattern on a plate. Serve sauce on the side or possibly drizzle it over the pork. Garnish with fresh coriander eaves.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 77g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 103||63%|
|Total Fat 11.45g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 3.82g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 2.39g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|