Cost per serving $1.28 view details
- Â Â extra virgin olive oil spray
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounce boneless beef round chunks
- 1/2 c. minced onions
- 1/3 c. diced celery
- 2 lrg garlic cloves chopped
- Â Â salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chardonnay or possibly pale sherry
- 3/4 c. potato chunks
- 3/4 c. butternut squash chunks
- 3/4 c. carrot chunks
- 2 pch fresh thyme leaves
- 4 c. water
- 1 pkt mushroom or possibly brown gravy mix low-sodium, spicy
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 c. frzn beans or possibly cut green beans
- Spray an unheated 4-qt non-stick pot with extra virgin olive oil. Place pan on medium heat. Add in oil. When warmed, add in the beef, onions, celery and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook and stir till the beef is browned.
- Increase the heat; add in wine and deglaze the pan.
- Stir in the potatoes, squash, carrots and thyme. Add in 4 c. water and stir in the gravy mix. When the mix has dissolved, add in paprika. Reduce heat to a very low simmer. Cover and simmer 30 min or possibly till meat is tender. Don't boil. Stir the stew occasionally; add in water as needed.
- Add in peas or possibly beans, still frzn. Increase the heat to medium. Serve when the peas are warmed through (2 to 3 min).
- TIP - Cut the meat and vegetables in about the same sized bites: 1/2-inch cubes.
- Yield: 6 c.
- NOTES : We much prefer the vegetables and creamy sauce of a stew when it isn't competing with a lot of beef. By replacing half the normal portion of potato with pumpkin, we reduce some calories from carbohydrates. Here the flavors depend most upon the squash and the gravy mix. Check out the vegetarian section of the supermarket for low-sodium, spicy gravy mixes. Add in spices and herbs when a gravy mix is too bland.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 437g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 92||39%|
|Total Fat 10.3g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 3.69g||15%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 21.95g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 6.6g||22%|