Cost per serving $3.36 view details
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lb beef short ribs cut 2" pcs
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 2 lrg onions minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 3 lrg celery stalks diced
- 1 lrg celery root peeled, diced
- 1 x rutabaga peeled, diced
- 1 lrg baking potato peeled, diced
- 1 x bay leaf
- 1Â 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 6 c. beef broth
- 6 c. water
- 1 can diced tomatoes - (14 1/2 ounce) with juice
- Heat oil in large stewpot over medium-high heat. Season ribs with salt and pepper to taste. When oil is warm, sear ribs in batches. Set aside.
- Keep about 2 Tbsp. fat in pot. Add in onions and garlic. Stir till mixed. Cook, stirring often, till warm and fragrant, about 5 min. Add in celery, celery root, rutabaga, potato, bay leaf, thyme, broth, water and tomatoes with juice. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, till meat is falling off bones, about 2 1/2 hrs.
- Use tongs to transfer ribs to plate. When cold sufficient to handle, remove meat from ribs, trim away fat and cartilage (there will be more waste than meat). Use hands to shred meat. Stir into soup. Cold, then chill overnight or possibly up to 3 days. Skim and throw away solid fat. (Can be frzn up to 1 month.)
- Reheat over medium-high heat, stirring often. Taste and adjust seasoning. Simmer, uncovered, to thicken as desired. Remove bay leaf. Serve warm in hot soup bowls.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
- Comments: Be sure to make this soup at least a day ahead to let the fat congeal on the surface so it can be easily removed and discarded. Also, the flavor improves tremendously as it stands. It freezes well. To thicken the soup, simmer it, uncovered, till it's just as you like it. If it's too thick, simply add in water.
- NOTES :
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 683g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 577||77%|
|Total Fat 64.03g||80%|
|Saturated Fat 26.82g||107%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.99g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|