Cost per serving $4.58 view details
- 1/4 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lrg Yellow onions, minced, about 4 c.
- 2 lb Coarsely grnd beef (shank, shoulder or possibly chuck)
- 2 lb Coarsely grnd pork salt
- 1/3 c. Mild, unseasoned chile pwdr
- 3 Tbsp. Grnd cumin, from toasted seeds, if possible
- 3 Tbsp. Dry oregano, preferably Mexican
- 3 Tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa pwdr (NOT DUTCH PROCESS!)
- 2 Tbsp. Grnd cinnamon
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper, or possibly to taste
- 4 c. Tomato juice
- 3 c. Beef stock or possibly canned broth
- 8 med Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Yellow cornmeal as optional thickener (more as needed)
- 32 ounce Dark red kidney beans (liquid removed and rinsed)
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, hot the oil. Add in onions and cook, stirring occasionally, till tender, about 20 min.
- Meanwhile in a 4 to 5 quart. heavy flameproof casserole or possibly Dutch oven over medium heat, combine beef and pork. Season with 2 Tablespoons salt and cook, stirring often, till meat has lost all its pink color and is proportionately crumbled, about 20 min.
- Scrape onions into casserole with meats. Stir in chili pwdr, cumin, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, 5 min.
- Stir in tomato juice and beef stock. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Taste, correct seasonings and simmer another 30 min or possibly till chili is thickened to your liking. Stir in garlic. To thicken chili further or possibly to bind any surface fats, stir in the optional cornmeal. Stir in the beans and simmer another 5 min.
- Serves 6 or possibly more.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 809g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 1432||80%|
|Total Fat 159.02g||199%|
|Saturated Fat 56.44g||226%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 42.95g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.3g||44%|