Cost per serving $1.84 view details
- 2 env dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 2Â 1/2 c. Hot water (105 - 115 F)
- 7 c. Bread flour
- 1 x Egg white beaten with 1 tsp water (glaze)
- Makes 4 loaves
- Sprinkle yeast, sugar and salt over water in large bowl; let stand till dissolved. Stir to blend. Let stand till foamy and proofed, abut 10 min.
- Add in 5 c. flour to yeast mix and stir to incorporate. Stir in another 1 c. flour. Turn dough out onto generously floured surface. Knead in remaining 1 c. flour. Continue kneading till dough is very smooth and elastic, about 10 min.
- Butter large bowl. Add in dough, turning to coat entire surface. Cover and let rise in hot draft-free area till doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let stand 15 min at room temperature.
- Generously butter four 18-inch baguette pans. Knead dough 3 to 4 times.
- Divide proportionately into 4 pcs. Roll 1 piece into 7x15-inch oblong. Roll up as for jelly roll. Set seam side down in 1 prepared pan. Repeat with remaining pcs. Using razor blade, make three to four 3/8-inch-deep slashes atop each loaf. Brush each with glaze. Let stand in hot draft-free area till dough rises to top of pans, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake loaves 15 min. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Continue baking till bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 30 min. Remove from pans. Serve immediately. (Can be prepared 3 months ahead. Cold completely. Wrap in foil and freeze. Rewarm in 350 F oven for about 20 min.)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 416g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 40||4%|
|Total Fat 4.79g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.68g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 186.96g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 9.5g||32%|