Vary placement of chocolate layer in the middle or on bottom when inverted; but don't put chocolate layer in pan first or it won't contrast with chocolate glaze.
I have seen this cake on the Internet using one white cake mix divided into 3 parts and using chocolate syrup, and either strawberry syrup or red food coloring for the 3 layers. However most reviews complained about the lack of flavors of the chocolate and strawberry layers. So my solution was to use 3 different cake mixes! I attend sufficient events where food is shared that making one cake, then others on two more occasions is no problem. Divide the mixes each into 3 parts by either weighing or use measuring cups; store the remaining parts in Ziploc bags and then in their boxes for future uses. Now you're ready to make the first one!
- 1 box each, white, chocolate and strawberry cake mixes, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup water, divided
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs, divided
- Ganache, chocolate glaze or frosting (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 12-cup fluted tube or Bundt cake pan with shortening and lightly flour it, or spray with baking spray with flour.
- Into a medium-size mixing bowl put 1/3 of an 18.25 ounce white cake mix (approximately 6 ounces by weight or 1 2/3 cups dry mix), 2 egg whites, 1/3 cup water, 4 teaspoons oil, and almond extract.
- Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute until well mixed. Pour into prepared pan scraping bowl well (I used the same mixing bowl and beaters for all three layers but if you're a purist, use clean ones each time.)
- Into same mixing bowl put 1/3 of an 18.25 strawberry cake mix, 1 egg, 1/3 cup water, and 4 teaspoons oil. Beat as above and carefully pour it over the white layer mixture in pan, scraping bowl thoroughly.
- Place 1/3 of an 18.25 chocolate cake mix into mixing bowl along with 1 egg, 1/3 cup water and 4 teaspoons oil. Beat mixture as above and carefully pour over strawberry layer.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean..
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack. Turn cake out upside down onto rack and cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Finish cake with optional ganache, chocolate glaze or frosting.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 31g|
|Recipe makes 14 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||77%|
|Total Fat 5.36g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.7g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.1g|
|Total Carbs 2.52g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|