Cost per serving $0.67 view details
- 3 lb meaty soup bones
- 1 x carrot peeled
- 1 x celery rib with leaves
- 1 x ripe Roma tomato
- 1 x onion unpeeled
- 1 tsp salt - (to 2)
- 3 lb dense pumpkin
- Â Â (or possibly use a mix of kabocha or possibly butternut squash and pumpkin)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1Â 1/2 c. minced onion
- 3/4 c. minced celery with leaves
- 1 quart Homemade Beef Broth (listed above)
- Â Â Sea salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd white pepper to taste
- Â Â Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- Â Â Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
- Â Â Fresh sage minced
- Â Â Toasted fresh bread crumbs
- Â Â Coarse sea salt
- For the Homemade Beef Broth: Place broth ingredients except for salt in a deep pot. Pour water into pot to cover meat and vegetables. Over medium heat, bring broth almost to a boil, skimming off foam as it rises. Reduce heat to low and simmer broth partly covered 2 to 3 hrs. Strain broth, throw away solids and add in salt to taste. Cold broth uncovered and chill to allow fat to congeal. Throw away fat before using broth. (Makes 6 c.)
- Peel and seed pumpkin and cut into 2-inch chunks.
- In a large, deep pot over medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, add in onions and celery and saute/fry till vegetables are tender, about 5 min. Add in pumpkin chunks, season with salt and saute/fry 5 min more, stirring frequently.
- Add in 2 c. of broth and simmer till broth is almost absorbed, about 10 min. Add in 2 more c. of broth and cook soup partly covered till pumpkin is very tender, 10 to 15 min.
- Puree or possibly pass the soup through a food mill. Add in water if soup is too thick. Add in salt and white pepper to taste. Heat soup and serve with a healthy drizzle of flavorful extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkling of cheese, sage, toasted bread crumbs and a little coarse salt.
- This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 200g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 35||55%|
|Total Fat 3.91g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 0.73g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.44g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|