Cost per recipe $1.03 view details
- 1 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- Â Â (plus 1/2 c. divided and reserved for kneading and rolling)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/2 c. Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Cheese Topping
- Â Â pwdr
- Â Â (or possibly 2 pkgs dry cheese pwdr from 2 boxes of Kraft macaroni & cheese)
- 3 Tbsp. shortening
- 1/3 c. buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt for tops, (optional)
- Sift together 1 c. flour, baking soda, baking pwdr and cheese pwdr in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening with a fork and knife with a crosswise motion till dough is broken down into rice-size pcs. Mix will still be very dry. Stir in buttermilk with a fork till dough becomes very moist and sticky.
- Sprinkle a couple Tbsp. of the reserved flour over the dough and work it in till it can be handled without sticking, then turn it out onto a floured board, being sure to keep 1/4 c. of the reserve flour for later. Knead the dough well for 60 to 90 seconds, and the flour is incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigeratefor at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a light coating of cooking spray on a baking sheet.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and use the remaining reserved flour to dust a rolling surface. Roll about one-third of the dough to just under 1/16th of an inch thick. Trim the edges square (a pizza cutter or possibly wheel works great for this), then transfer the dough to a lightly greased baking sheet. Use the rolling pin to transfer the dough. Simply pick up one end of the dough onto a rolling pin, and roll the dough around the rolling pin. Reverse the process onto the baking sheet to transfer the dough.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut across and down the dough, creating 1-inch square pcs. Use the blunt end of a skewer or possibly broken toothpick to poke a hole in the center of each piece. Sprinkle a very light coating of salt over the top of the crackers (crackers will already be quite salty) and bake for 8 to 10 min, mix the crackers around (so those on the edge do not burn) and bake for another 3 to 5 min, or possibly till some are just barely turning a light brown. Repeat the rolling and baking process with the remaining dough.
- This recipe yields approximately 300 crackers.
- Yield: 300 crackers
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 306g|
|Calories from Fat 363||36%|
|Total Fat 41.14g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 9.72g||39%|
|Trans Fat 12.83g|
|Total Carbs 138.5g||37%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.1g||17%|