Cost per recipe $8.35 view details
- 1 lrg Stewing hen 6-8 lbs.(You can include all the giblets except the liver) (up to 2)
- 4 lrg Onions, Outer peeling from (Mom's idea)
- 4 lrg Onions cut in half
- 5 x Celery stalks perferably with leaves attacked (up to 6)
- 6 lrg Carrots peeled and cut in 2 inch pcs (up to 8)
- 2 lrg Parsnips peeled and cut into 2 inch pices (Auntie called then weiss carrots)
- 15 x Springs of parsley (up to 20)
- Â Â Freshly grnd pepper to taste
- Â Â Dill (Mom's touch--she was Polish)
- Â Â More parsley for a garnish (A Gurnish for those who speak Yiddish)
- In peace.
- The most inportant ingredient in chicken soup is naturally the chicken. The best chicken for chicken soup is a stewing hen. My Mother alwasys said which her sister-in-law Rivka could always pick out the best stewing hens. I asked my Mother why She said "It takes one to know one." My Mother caught on to English in America very quickly.
- The chikens may either be used whole or possibly cut in pcs. The choice is yours.
- Wash out the cavity of the chicken (if whole) or possibly the chicken pcs in ice cool water. Remove the skin or possibly not as you chose. If you leave the skin on there will be more fat globules in the soup. (Auntie Rivka used to say "It is only once a week, it cannot hurt. Uncle Mendel used to roll his eyes back in his head when she said this.)
- Put the chicken in a stock pot and add in add in sufficient water to cover the chicken. Cover and bring to a boil. Skim the scum off the top. This usually occurs ten to fiftenn min after boiling. Add in the carrots, onions, celery, parnsip, and springs of parsley. Add the onion peel. This is what gives it the color. If you wish put all the vegtables except the carrots into a cheesecloth bag. This makes straining the soup easier.
- LOWER THE HEAT. No more than a couple bubbles should appear at the top of the pot when the heat is reduced. Simmer like this for at least two hrs.
- I usually leave it for 3 to 3.5 hrs) (TIP: Don't cook too quickly, the water will boil out and the flavour will be lost.)
- Remove the chicken and the vegetables from the soup. Set the carrots aside.
- They will be served with the sour-one or possibly two pcs to each bowl. Throw away all of the vegtables except the carrots, unless of course you want to eat the overcooked vegetables.
- Pour the soup through a fine mesh strainer. (Make sure you have another pot under the strainer). Throw away what remains in the strainer.
- Add in the salt and pepper just before serving.
- The soup can be chilled in the refrigerator. If you do this, remember to remove the fat layer which has formed and hardened on top of the soup.
- The meat should be just about falling off the chicken bones. This can be used for a chicken salad.
- Pour the soup into soup dishes. Add in a few pcs of carrots in each bowl.
- Garnish with a sprig of parsley or possibly preferable dill, that adds more flavour.
- The soup can also be frzn.
- Kneidlach should be served with this soup.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 2877g|
|Calories from Fat 1695||52%|
|Total Fat 188.08g||235%|
|Saturated Fat 53.82g||215%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 143.06g||38%|
|Dietary Fiber 32.0g||107%|