If you love mushrooms as much as I do, this one is for you. It is a fairly light and healthy vegetarian stir-fry dish, which can easily be made vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I used the veggie broth and it turned out great.
Stir-frying is a quick cooking method so most of your time involved in making this will be in the prep work. Therefore, it is best to have all of your ingredients prepared and ready to go in the wok before beginning the actual cooking.
I highly recommend using a wok with a gas stove for the best results in stir-frying. If this is not possible, just make sure your skillet is large enough and can get really hot. Cast iron and triple-ply aluminum cookware are both good choices.
Serve with hot green tea for dinner and red bean or green tea ice cream for dessert.
- 6 oz no-salt-added buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 Tbsp refined safflower oil, divided
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp prepared black bean garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder (may substitute for cornstarch)
- 1/2 onion, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 heads baby bok choy (app. 12 oz.), sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large portabella mushroom, halved and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 2 oz enoki mushrooms
- 1 cup wood ear mushrooms (may substitute for a canned straw mushrooms, rinsed and drained)
- 8 large cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, including half of greens, thinly sliced diagonally
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and then return to the pot. Toss with 1 Tbsp of oil, then cover and set aside for later.
- In a small bowl, combine broth, black bean sauce, soy sauce and arrowroot powder. Set aside for later.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in your wok or skillet on medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add onion and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add baby bok choy and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add portabella mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add shiitake and cremini mushrooms and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until all mushrooms in the wok are tender. Then add the stock mixture set aside earlier (making sure to stir thoroughly before adding to the wok as the arrowroot powder will have settled to the bottom), and the enoki and wood ear mushrooms. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally, until sauce comes to a boil and thickens (app 1 minute).
- Place servings of noodles on plates and top with the stir-fry, then sprinkle with the green onions. Serve immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 910g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 56||26%|
|Total Fat 6.32g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1.55g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 25.31g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.3g||34%|