Hearty soup; perfect for a winter's day.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Servings: 6 Bowls
Cost per serving $1.10 view details
- 4 cups of beef stock or 1 beef bouillon cube dissolved in four cups of hot water
- 4-5 dehydrated mushrooms (shitake or oyster) (rehydrated and diced w/ stems removed)
- 8 oz. baby bella or button mushrooms diced
- 1 large white onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large (2 in. thick slice) beef shank (bone in)
- 1 14 oz. can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of pearl barley
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 3 sprigs each of fresh thyme, rosemary and 3 sage leaves (tied in a cheesecloth pouch)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a small bowl pour boiling water, just enough to cover, over the dehydrated mushrooms and let steep for 30 mins. Remove the stems, finely chop and set aside (save the steeping water for later)
- In a dutch over, heat 1 Tbs. of olive oil over med/high heat until smoking. Sear beef shank on both sides until nicely browned. Remove beef shank and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in dutch oven until just smoking. Add the onion, celery and carrots. Saute until just translucent and add all of the mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 2-3 more mins. Add the tomatoes (with juice) and simmer until almost all of the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the spices and salt and pepper to taste along with the beef broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and add back in the beef shank and barley. Simmer for 1 hour and remove beef shank and set aside in a bowl to cool.
- Remove the meat from the shank to add back to simmering pot along with juices. Simmer for 30 mins. or until barley is tender.
- If the soup seems a little too thick add your reserved mushroom liquid.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 278g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 46||34%|
|Total Fat 5.23g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 0.88g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 19.12g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||14%|