A very well known mughlai dish.Mughlai food is characterized by rich and creamy curry which have a distinct aroma and taste of ground and whole spices. This Super soft raisin stuffed cottage cheese dumplings in a rich creamy tomato gravy, a main course dish paired along with crispy roti/ nan, basmati rice with some salad. Some gravies especially mughlai dishes like these are meant to be made in its traditional way to really enjoy it. I have given down two different methods : low fat version by baking kofta's in oven, also the original version of deep frying them, and cooking it in heavy cream.
- 4 - 5 Medium Potatoes, boiled-peeled-grated
- 2 Thai Green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 C Paneer (cottage cheese), grated
- 1/2 C Carrot & Peas, partially boiled & squeezed to remove excess water
- 1/4 C Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 C Cornflour/ corn starch
- 1/4 C Golden Raisins + Chopped Cashew
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Deep Fry / Spray to bake,
- Boil the potatoes, cool, peel and grate them.
- 2. Grate paneer.
- 3. Wash all green chillies, deseed and chop them fine.
- 4. Peel carrots,grate them, add peas and some water, boil them in microwave for 10 mins. Once done, remove excess by passing & squeezing it through a muslin cloth.
- 5. Peel onions, cut them into halves and boil with a cup of water for ten minutes. Drain excess water, cool onions and grind them into a smooth paste. Set Aside.
- 6. In a bowl, mix mashed potatoes, paneer, some chopped green chillies, boiled carrot-peas, corn flour and salt. Mix well. Divide into 20-22 equal sized balls. Stuff raisins & cashew into them. Deep fry in hot oil until slightly golden brown. Drain and keep aside. Fry one kofta and check for binding, if it breaks, add a little more cornflour. Deep fry in hot oil.
- OR BAKE in a 375F pre-heat oven, by arranging & spraying oil on these koftas placing them on a cookie sheet wraped with aluminum foil,for 10 mins. Keep a close watch, with the help of tongs, turn them once they are slight brown on one side.
- 7. On the other side heat oil in a kadai, add shahjeera, boiled onion paste and cook for five minutes. Add ginger & garlic, few chopped green chillies, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, and salt. cook for a minute.
- 8. Add tomato puree and red chilli powder and cook on medium flame untill oil separates from gravy.
- 9. Add half&half along with some water & bring it to a boil and simmer for ten minutes on a slow flame. Stir occasionally.
- 10. Stir in fresh cream and garam masala powder.
- 11. Gently put all of these kofta's in the gravy when ready to serve. Simmer for another 2 mins and enjoy this rich, creamy gravy with Nan/Roti (Indian Flat Bread.)
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 304g|
|Recipe makes 3 servings|
|Calories from Fat 6||2%|
|Total Fat 0.73g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.16g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 63.97g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.6g||25%|