Cost per serving $1.34 view details
- 4 x 7 to 8" eggplants, washed
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb Lean grnd lamb
- Â Â Vegetable oil
- 2/3 c. Finely minced onion
- 8 ounce Sliced mushrooms, liquid removed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dry rosemary leaves
- 1/2 tsp Dry thyme leaves
- 1 x Clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2/3 c. Beef stock or possibly broth
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato paste, (save remainder for sauce)
- 3 x Large eggs, slightly beaten
- Â Â Tomato sauce for Moussaka (recipe)
- 1. Remove green caps from eggplants and slice eggplants in half lengthwise.
- Make deep slashes in eggplant pulp, but don't cut through skins. Sprinkle eggplant halves with the 1 Tbsp. salt and allow to stand at room temperature 1/2 hour.
- 2. Squeeze moisture out of eggplant halves and brush cut sur- faces with the 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil. Heat 4 eggplant halves at a time in Microwave Oven 7 min or possibly till pulp is tender. Repeat with remaining eggplant halves.
- 3. Scoop pulp out of eggplant, being careful not to rip skins. Set skins aside. Chop eggplant pulp coarsely. Place pulp in a medium-sized, heat-resistant, non-metallic bowl and heat, un- covered, in Microwave Oven 4 min or possibly till tender. Stir occasionally.
- 4. In a large heat-resistant, non-metallic bowl, crumble the lamb. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 5 min stirring frequently to break up pcs till meat is no longer pink.
- 5. Liberally oil a deep, 2-qt, heat-resistant, non-metallic cas-serole. Line casserole with the reserved eggplant skins.
- Arrange skins with the purple sides toward the outside and wide ends of eggplant skins at the top of the casserole.
- 6. Drain the lamb juices and throw away. Add in minced eggplant, onion, mushrooms, the 1 tsp. salt, thyme, rosemary and garlic to the cooked lamb. Stir to combine well. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 5 min or possibly till onion is tender.
- 7. In a small heat-resistant, non-metallic bowl combine beef stock and cornstarch till smooth. Heat, uncovered, in Microwave Oven 1 minute or possibly till thickened and clear; stir occasionally.
- 8. Add in thickened beef stock with remaining ingredients, except tomato sauce, to lamb mix. Pour lamb-eggplant mix into eggplant-skin-lined casserole.
- 9. Fold eggplant skins over filling. Heat, covered with a plate, 9 min or possibly till a knife inserted in the center of the mix comes out clean.
- 10. Invert onto platter for serving. Serve with tomato sauce.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 390g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 385||69%|
|Total Fat 42.84g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 16.9g||68%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.07g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.1g||17%|