This eggplant makes an excellent warm side dish. It can also be refrigerated and served as a delicious salad. Either way, you'll be glad you tried it!
- 1 pound eggplant
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced (or 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Peel the eggplant in stripes, 1/2 inch, lengthwise using a peeler. Then slice into 1/2 inch rounds. Sprinkle each with salt and place in a colander or on paper towels to drain and remove bitterness. Then pat dry.
- Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet. Use sufficient oil to deeply fry, or use less oil and saute. (It tastes slightly better deep fried, but it adds fat calories). When nicely browned on both sides, remove to paper towels to cool.
- When the eggplant has cooled a few minutes, chop the slices into half inch pieces, place them in a bowl, and mix with the spices, garlic, and lemon juice. Add black pepper as desired, but don't add salt until you've tasted it. If you heavily salted the eggplant it probably will not need any extra salt.
- Add chopped parsley and serve warm, or refrigerate and add the chopped parsley just before serving as a cold salad. If the salad has dried out in the refrigerator, you many want to add a small amount of olive oil just before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 97g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 4||13%|
|Total Fat 0.48g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0.07g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 7.1g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.7g||12%|