Cost per serving $2.49 view details
- 12 x cloves garlic chopped
- 2 x habaneros or possibly other spicy chiles cored, seeded, and chopped (wear rubber gloves)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tsp whole cumin seeds toasted
- 1 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 c. sour orange juice or possibly half lime juice and half orange juice
- 1Â 1/2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- Â Â salt and freshly grnd black pepper to
- Â Â taste
- 1Â 1/2 lb flank steak
- 2 lrg bermuda onions thickly sliced and brushed with extra virgin olive oil, optional
- Â Â salt and freshly grnd black pepper to taste
- TO MAKE THE MOJO: Mash the raw garlic, chiles, salt, and cumin together in a mortar and pestle till fairly smooth. (Alternatively, use a food processor, pulsing till the ingredients are finely minced but not pureed.) Scrape the mix into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil till fairly warm but not smoking, and pour it over the garlic-chile mix (the oil should sizzle when it hits the cold ingredients), stir, and let stand 10 min. This will cook the garlic slightly. Whisk in the sour orange juice and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cold completely.
- Put the steak in a zip-top bag or possibly a shallow bowl and pour in 1 c. of the cooled mojo. Seal and chill for at least 2 hrs or possibly overnight, turning occasionally. Chill the remaining 1 c. of mojo.
- TO COOK AND SERVE: Light a charcoal or possibly gas grill. When the grill is very warm, remove the steak from the marinade (throw away the marinade), pat dry, and season with salt and pepper; cook 5 to 7 min on one side and 3 to 4 min on the other for medium rare. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 min. (If desired, grill the Bermuda onions as well - you can put them on at the same time as the flank steak; grill 6 to 7 min per side.)
- Meanwhile, hot the reserved mojo over low heat. Slice the flank steak very thinly on the bias and serve with the reserved mojo and the grilled onions.
- NOTES : Toss a few red onions on the grill to serve with this dish; a salad of tomatoes and cucumbers rounds out the meal nicely. My family loves this versatile mojo on chicken as well as on flank steak.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 188g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 395||76%|
|Total Fat 44.52g||56%|
|Saturated Fat 8.38g||34%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 5.34g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.3g||1%|