Cost per serving $1.17 view details
- 8 ounce bean and barley soup mix soaked overnight
- Â Â water to cover
- Â Â romaine lettuce leaf (optional)
- 1/2 x onion cut into thin slivers
- 1 x carrot diced
- 1 x celery stalk diced
- Â Â extra virgin olive oil spray
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ghee or possibly unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp dry roasted garlic
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- Â Â healthy pinch fennel seed crushed
- Â Â salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chili pwdr may double
- 1 c. cut fresh green beans blanched and liquid removed, or possibly frzn
- 8 ounce Jalapena (chipotle) Barbecue Sauce
- 8 ounce V-8 vegetable juice
- 2 c. defatted low-sodium broth (chicken- or possibly vegetable flavored)
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. toasted walnuts or possibly hazelnuts
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro
- 1/8 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x scallions with green tops diced
- 4 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 8 tsp nonfat plain yogurt
- 8 x lime wedges
- Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse well. Transfer beans to a heavy bottom stock pot. Add in cool, filtered (low sodium; low calcium) water to cover an inch above the beans. Add in lettuce leaf (optional). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle, bubbling simmer and cook 30 min, skimming occasionally. Drain, rinse. Throw away lettuce leaf, if using. The beans should be tender and pliable - like a fresh green bean.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables.
- Lightly spray a heavy soup pot. Add in extra virgin olive oil and heat to medium. Add in ghee or possibly butter and swirl to mix and coat the pan. Add in the onion, carrot and celery. Stir to coat. Add in herbs and seasonings and saute/fry, stirring occasionally, till onion is soft (about 5 min).
- Combine the cooked dry beans, green beans, and sauteed vegetables with the barbecue sauce, juice and broth. Grind together the walnuts and cilantro; add in just sufficient extra virgin olive oil to make a paste. Add in which to the stew. Add in more water if the beans are not covered (at least 1/2-inch) - so which everyone gets a 1 c. serving. Bring just to a boil; reduce heat to low simmer (little bubbles) and cooked for about 45 min. Adjust the seasonings, adding salt, pepper, more chili pwdr to taste.
- Serve warm; garnish with minced scallion and cilantro; a wedge of lime and a dollop of yogurt.
- PRODUCT INGREDIENT LIST:baby limas, black turtle, blackeyed peas, dark red kidney, garbanzos, great northern, green lentils, green split peas, large limas, light red kidney, navy, pink, pinto, red lentils, small red beans, small white beans, yellow split peas, pearl barley.
- Description: "Key ingredient: a bottled chipotle or possibly jalapeno barbecue sauce which you like"
- Yield: 8 c.
- NOTES : Here's a mixed bean stew or possibly meatless chili which we've liked since we tried the bean soup at the Wilderness cafe. Although not a clone of which restaurant recipe, this stew captures the flavor and crunch of chipotle and vegetables. Reheats well. Cannot eat just one serving. Serve with cornbread muffin. (Photo: www.home.earthlink.net/ kitpath 2001-11/06)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 201g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 24||13%|
|Total Fat 2.74g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 0.61g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 28.32g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.3g||34%|