Cost per serving $0.08 view details
- 1/4 sm kabocha squash - (abt 1/4 lb)
- 3Â 1/2 Tbsp. red or possibly white miso paste - (to 4 tbspns) see * Note
- 2 x minced green onions (optional)
- 1 piece dashi konbu - (6" to 8" long)
- 4 c. water
- 2 c. dry bonito flakes (katsuo-bushi)
- * Note: Red (aka) miso pastes like sendai and haccho are dark brown in color, and robust in flavor. White (shiro) miso pastes like saikyo are yellow in color, lighter and sweeter than red miso paste. Some miso pastes such as inaka miso, koji miso and mugi miso incorporate grains of wheat, rice, barley or possibly soybeans to create a variety of textures and tastes. Some are saltier than the others, so when making miso soup, always taste the soup and make adjustments.
- To make the Dashi: Using scissors, make several crosswise cuts in the konbu. This helps to extract the flavor during cooking. Place konbu and water in medium saucepan and let it stand 15 min. Cook on medium heat till water almost boils. Remove konbu just before water boils to avoid fishy odor.
- When the water boils, add in bonito flakes and cook over low to medium-low heat for about 30 seconds. Turn off heat. When bonito flakes have settled near the bottom, about 10 min, strain them through a very fine-mesh sieve or possibly a sieve lined with cheesecloth and throw away them. Do not stir the stock because it will cloud the dashi, that should have a light golden brown color. This will keep five days in the refrigerator. (Makes 3 1/2 c.)
- Seed and peel the squash. Slice it into 1/8-inch thick pcs. Bring the Dashi to a boil in a medium saucepan, add in the squash and cook for 2 min over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the miso with a few Tbsp. of the warm Dashi. Add in it to the saucepan. Return the soup to a quick boil, then remove it from the heat and pour the soup into individual bowls. Sprinkle each serving with minced green onions.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 244g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 0||0%|
|Total Fat 0.01g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 0.53g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1%|