There are so many versions of Chicken in Lettuce Cups. This recipe features the classic trinity of chicken, lap cheung (Chinese wax sausages) and dried shrimp.
If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, get the Wycen lap cheung (Washington/Stockton or Clement/7th) . They make their sausages locally and offer extra lean 100% chicken sausages.
- Â½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh, trimmed of fat and minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Â½ teaspoon sesame oil
- Â½ Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Chinese wax sausage, diced small, Â½ inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon dried shrimps, soaked, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 Tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- Â¼ cup water
- 10 fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced small, Â¼ inch cubes
- 5 oz water chestnuts, drained, diced small, Â¼ inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons green onions, green and white parts, julienned thinly, 1 inch
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- Â¼ cup hoisin sauce
- Cilantro sprigs
- Toast the pine nuts, set aside.
- Preparing the lettuce: Using a paring knife, cut around the stem core of the lettuce, then carefully separate the lettuce leaves. Reserve outer leaves for other use. Use a knife or scissors to cut the inner leaves into rough 4 inch rounds. Pat leaves dry. Make 30 cups. Chill.
- Preparing the filling: In a food processor, pulse the chicken until it is chopped roughly (or use a cleaver and cutting board to mince). Marinate the chicken with cornstarch, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and oil.
- Cooking the filling: In the wok, heat Â½ Tablespoon oil, fry the Chinese sausage until it has rendered its fat. Push to the side of the wok or if you are not using a wok, remove to a prep plate. Next, add another Â½ Tablespoon oil, fry the dried shrimp with the remaining garlic and ginger and sautÃ© until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Then add the chicken, drizzle the Shaoxing wine around the sides of the wok and stir-fry till it becomes brown and caramelized. Push chicken to the side of the wok or remove from the pan.
- Next, add a little oil if needed, the chopped shiitake, sautÃ© until mushroom is tender, then add toss back the chicken and sausage. Add Â¼ cup of water to the wok. Stir until the sauce is thick and glazes the meat.
- Add the water chestnut. Remove from heat, stir in the chopped green onions and cilantro. Finish with the sesame oil.
- Brush each lettuce cup with hoisin sauce. Spoon a heaping Tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the prepared lettuce leaves and sprinkle liberally with pine nuts. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 30g|
|Recipe makes 30 servings|
|Calories from Fat 29||50%|
|Total Fat 3.37g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.36g||1%|
|Trans Fat 0.01g|
|Total Carbs 4.23g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.4g||1%|