Cost per recipe $7.91 view details
- 6 Tbsp. Unsalted butter, (3/4 stick)
- 1/4 c. Dark corn syrup
- 5 ounce Imported bittersweet chocolate, (not unsweetened) or possibly semisweet chocolate, minced
- 1/4 c. Powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp. Whipping cream
- 4 lrg Egg whites
- 1 c. Sugar
- 2 pt Vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- 1/2 c. Finely crushed hard peppermint candies
- 1/8 tsp Peppermint extract
- Â Â Coarsely minced hard peppermint candies
- For sauce:Heat butter with corn syrup in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add in chocolate, sugar and cream. Whisk till chocolate melts and sugar dissolves. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; chill.)
- For Meringues:Preheat oven to 225F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil; butter foil. Place 3 3/4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter on foil-lined sheet. Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks. Gradually add in 1 c. sugar; continuing beating till stiff and shiny. Spoon 1/4 c. meringue inside cookie cutter on sheet. Using back of spoon spread meringue proportionately. Lift up cookie cutter; place on another section of foil-lined sheet. Repeat with remaining meringue, forming 6 hearts on each sheet.
- Bake meringues till crisp and dry, about 1 hour. Cold meringues on sheets 10 min. Peel meringues off foil. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cold completely. Store airtight at room temperature.)
- Mix ice cream, 1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy and extract in medium bowl.
- Cover and freeze till almost semi-hard, about 2 hrs.
- Place meringues flat side up on baking sheet and freeze 15 min. Spoon 1/2 c. ice cream atop 1 meringue. Top with another meringue, flat side up.
- Press gently to flatten, forming sandwich. Run spatula around sides of ice cream to even sides. Freeze. Repeat with remaining meringues and ice cream.
- Cover and freeze at least 1 hour and up to 6 hrs.
- Stir sauce over medium-low heat just till hot. Sift powdered sugar over tops of meringues, coating completely. Place on plates. Spoon sauce around.
- Sprinkle minced candy over sauce.
- Serves 6.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1379g|
|Calories from Fat 1947||46%|
|Total Fat 223.4g||279%|
|Saturated Fat 138.77g||555%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 583.15g||156%|
|Dietary Fiber 30.2g||101%|