A light cupcake made from a meringue that is served topped with a blackberry sauce and plain low-fat yogurt
Servings: 6 cupcakes
Cost per serving $1.08 view details
- Â½ teaspoon white vinegar
- Â¼ teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or Â½ teaspoon extract)
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- Â¼ teaspoon salt
- Â¾ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- Â½ container (3 ounces) blackberries, halved if large
- Vegetable oil cooking spray, for baking cups
- Gel-paste food coloring (if desired)
- Blackberry Sauce (recipe follows)
- Â½ container (3 ounces) blackberries
- Â½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg yolks
- Â½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Line every other cup of a nonstick 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups; coat with cooking spray. Whisk egg whites, vinegar, vanilla, and salt with a mixer on medium-high speed until frothy. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition, making sure the sugar dissolves. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Mix in 6 drops food coloring.
- 2. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a plain coupler (no tip), and pipe into prepared baking cups, about 2 inches above rims, finishing with a peak in the centers. Bake, rotating halfway through, 3 to 3 hours and 20 minutes. (Cupcakes should be completely dry on the outside but still soft in the middle. A toothpick inserted horizontally at base of top should have moist but cooked crumbs attached.) Transfer cupcakes in baking cups to wire racks; let cool completely.
- 3. You can place the âcupcakesâ into small bowls or on small plates and use a spoon to break them or carefully slice off tops of cupcakes using a serrated knife. (Run the knife just above the liner and slowly work your way to the center.) Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons blackberry sauce, a few blackberries, and 2 tablespoons low-fat yogurt. Replace tops, and serve immediately.
- 4. Whisk all blackberry sauce ingredients in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water until slightly thick, 8 to 10 minutes. Strain; refrigerate until cold and thick.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 161g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 94||27%|
|Total Fat 10.67g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 6.26g||25%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 60.83g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.5g||5%|