This is a long standing versatile recipe from my personal repertoire of the tried and succeeded.
This mix will suit a large array of meals. I've adapted this mix to over a dozen recipes already. Enjoy.
For a dedicated post about this recipe, please refer to:
- . > (American /Metric measures) <
- . 3 Tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- . 3 Tbsp. (30 ml) grape seed oil
- . 2 Tbsp. (30ml) unsalted butter
- . 2 sweet onions (chopped)
- . 2 celery stalks (fibers peeled + thinly sliced)
- . 2 carrots (halved and thinly sliced)
- . 1 large red bell pepper (diced)
- . 2 sausages 'Italian style' (casing peeled)
- . 1 lb. (450gr) lean pork (minced)
- . 1 lb. (450gr) lean veal (minced)
- . 1/4 cup (60ml) Sherry or Port wine
- . 1 small can Italian crushed tomato
- . > Seasonings: (divide portion by 2):
- . 2 tsp. (10ml) sea salt
- . 1 tsp.(5ml) ground cinnamon spice
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) each: garlic powder, Oregano, Basil, Mint, Marjoram, Sage, Rosemary, Tarragon
- . 1 can each of rinsed sweet corn kernels and red kidney beans (optionals)
- >>Now, let's tackle the amount of Chili Pepper you would add. This all really depends on your taste buds and capacity to withstand the heat. So you definitely have free range on this one...go for it!
- . In a large deep pan, heat oils and butter together. Pour in the chopped onions, stir them to be coated and patiently 'caramelize' (first sautÃ© and stir them for about 10 min. on medium-high heat. Lower it to low-medium heat and cover pan for about another 15 minutes). Afterwards, add the celery and carrot pieces. SautÃ© for another 5 minutes and then add half the portion of the seasonings.
- . Now, take out about 3/4 of your mix and place it temporarily in your baking casserole dish. Leave the rest in the pan to start flavouring your meat mix. Turn the heat back to medium-high in order to prepare the pan to receive the the meat. Add the peeled sausages by squashing them in small chunks as they are cooking. Afterwards, the minced meats can be added. Stir and cook to almost done and add the remaining seasoning mix.
- When meat has been seared and looks almost cooked, pour the alcohol all over it and wait until you see the evaporation before adding the tomato. Cook through for another 5 minutes. Now, add back the vegetables and combine all together well. Close the heat and leave this mix covered for about 10 minutes so that the flavours can further blend together! Voila...you're all done.
- . Buon appetito and flavourful wishes...FOODESSA.com
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 113g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 73||60%|
|Total Fat 8.35g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 5.08g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.99g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.1g||7%|