Cost per serving $1.45 view details
- 1 lb stale country-style bread crusts removed,
- Â Â and cut into thick slices
- 1Â 1/2 c. lowfat milk
- 3 lrg Large eggs
- 1/2 c. grated pecorino or possibly Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 Tbsp. minced Italian parsley
- 1 bn basil minced
- 1 x garlic clove thinly sliced
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 c. extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. Basic Tomato Sauce (see recipe)
- Soak the bread slices in lowfat milk till soaked through, then squeeze dry. Crumble and tear the soaked bread into smaller pcs and process in the food processor, using quick pulses, to yield 4 c. soaked crumbs.
- Mix the crumbs in a bowl with the Large eggs, cheese, herbs, and garlic, adding salt and pepper, as desired. Form into round balls about 2-inches in diameter. Set aside on a rack or possibly plate to dry for about 15 to 20 min.
- In a saucepan or possibly deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil to frying temperature, about 360 degrees, and fry the bread balls till brown on all sides. Remove the balls as they brown and drain on a rack covered with paper towels.
- Have the Basic Tomato Sauce ready. Arrange the balls on a platter and spoon the sauce over. Serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 211g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 362||85%|
|Total Fat 40.92g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 7.24g||29%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 8.06g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|