Cost per recipe $4.17 view details
- 2 c. Whole lowfat milk
- 3/4 c. Sugar
- 4 x Inch piece of vanilla bean slit lengthwise and seeds removed. pod reserved
- 6 lrg Egg yolks, (you know i will not use these!!!)
- 1 c. Heavy cream, (you know i will not use)
- Bring lowfat milk, 1/4 sugar and vanilla seeds and pod to 175 degrees in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve sugar & break up vanilla seeds. Meanwhile, beat remaining sugar with yolks till mix turns pale yellow and thickens so which it falls in ribbons, about 2 min with an electric mixer or possibly 4 min with a whisk. Remove 1/2 c. warm lowfat milk from pan and slowly whisk it into beaten yolks. Then gradually whisk yolk mix into saucepan and, stirring constantly, heat this mix over med-low heat to 180 degrees, 8-10 min. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Strain custard into a plastic or possibly nonreactive metal bowl and stir in cream.
- Retrieve vanilla pods from strainer and add in them to the mix. Place bowl in a larger bowl of ice water to bring custard to room temperature. Seal container and chill till custard is no more than 40 degrees, 4-8 hrs. (This is unnecessary with self-contained electric model). Remove vanilla pods (or possibly add in extract) and pour custard into an ice cream machine.
- Churn till frzn. For Chocolate Ice Cream: Follow Master recipe, omitting vanilla bean and adding 2 Tbsp. sugar to the original 1/4 c. in first step. When the egg mix has reached the ribbon stage, beat in 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa pwdr till mix is smooth. Add in 1 tsp. vanilla extract before freezing.
- Comments: This is something I would make on a special occasion such as a family get-together. I'd make it without the yolks, though, and use egg substitute instead; and I'd use low-fat evaporated lowfat milk for the heavy cream. (And I'd make it chocolate!(g) ) Best,
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 860g|
|Calories from Fat 777||48%|
|Total Fat 87.33g||109%|
|Saturated Fat 46.5g||186%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 179.04g||48%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|