Cost per recipe $19.65 view details
- 2 lrg Large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 c. plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 c. grnd unsalted pistachios
- 1/2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking pwdr
- 4 lrg egg whites room temperature
- 6 lrg egg yolks
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached all purpose flour
- 1Â 1/2 c. half and half
- 8 ounce imported white chocolate (such as Lindt), minced
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c. unsalted butter room temperature (2 sticks)
- 5 Tbsp. fraise or possibly framboise eau-de-vie (clear strawberry or possibly raspberry brandies) or possibly other brandy
- 6 Tbsp. strawberry jam
- 3 x 1 pint baskets strawberries stemmed
- 7 ounce marzipan
- Â Â Green food coloring
- Â Â Powdered sugar
- 2 ounce imported white chocolate (such as Lindt), minced
- 4 x strawberries cut in half through stem end
- For Cake:Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F. Butter 9-inch square
- pan with 2-inch-high sides. Line bottom with parchment paper. Butter and flour parchment.
- Using electric mixer, beat Large eggs and 1/3 c. sugar on high speed in large bowl till slowly dissolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted, about 4
- min. Mix nuts, flour and baking pwdr in medium bowl. Fold nut mix into egg mix. Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in medium bowl till soft peaks form. Gradually add in remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and beat till stiff peaks form. Fold whites into batter in 2 additions.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake till tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 18 min. Cold cake in pan on rack 5 min.
- Cut around cake in pan. Turn cake out onto rack. Peel off parchment; cold cake completely.
- For Buttercream:Whisk yolks, sugar and flour in medium bowl till well blended. Bring half and half to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Slowly pour warm half and half into egg mix, whisking constantly. Return egg mix to same saucepan and cook till mix is very thick and boils, whisking constantly. Transfer mix to medium bowl. Add in 8 ounces white chocolate and vanilla extract and stir till chocolate melts and mix is smooth. Press plastic wrap on surface of pastry cream to prevent skin from forming; cold. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Chill. Bring to
- room temperature before continuing.)
- Using electric mixer, beat 1 c. unsalted butter and 1 Tbsp. brandy in large bowl till fluffy. Add in pastry cream 1/4 c. at a time, beating after each addition till just blended.
- Heat jam in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Stir remaining 4 Tbsp. brandy into jam. Cut cake horizontally, into 2 even layers.
- Place 1 layer on 8-inch cardboard square. Brush half of jam over. Spread
- 1 c. buttercream over jam. Cover buttercream layer completely with whole
- strawberries, stem end down. Set aside 1/2 c. buttercream; spoon remaining buttercream over berries, spreading buttercream between and around berries. Spread remaining jam over second cake layer. Place cake,
- jam side down, atop buttercream. Press cake gently to adhere.
- Chill cake till buttercream is hard. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.
- Cover cake and remaining buttercream separately and chill. Bring buttercream to room temperature before continuing.)
- Knead marzipan and 2 drops green coloring in large bowl till color is proportionately distributed. Dust work surface with powdered sugar. Roll out marzipan on sugar to 12-inch-diameter circle, sprinkling with powdered sugar as needed to prevent sticking. Spread reserved 1/2 c. buttercream over top of cake. Using rolling pin as aid, drape marzipan over top of cake. Press gently to adhere. Trim marzipan flush with top of cake; reserve trimmings. Brush excess powdered sugar off marzipan. Using long sharp knife, cut 1/3 inch off each side of dessert to expose strawberries.
- Cut marzipan trimmings into leaf shapes using small cutter.
- Heat 2 ounces white chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat.
- Transfer chocolate to small parchment cone. Cut off tip to create small opening. Pipe the word Fraisier atop marzipan layer. Garnish with strawberry halves and marzipan leaves. Chill. (Can be prepared 4 hrs ahead.)
- Serves 10.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1699g|
|Calories from Fat 3249||56%|
|Total Fat 369.41g||462%|
|Saturated Fat 212.34g||849%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 553.27g||148%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.3g||28%|