I took the basic recipe and substituted a mix of shredded mexican and mozzarella cheese in place of the slices of cheese. I also added a diced roma tomato to the cream sauce before I added the cheese. To add a bit of a kick I added Sriracha, about 2 table spoons. I did bake it for 25 min. as the option said with a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
This dish tasted great and I have leftovers for at least one more meal.
Cost per serving $0.57 view details
- 2 cups uncooked fusili pasta (for a healthier option, substitute wheat pasta)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (can also substitute with wheat flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 8 slices mild chedder cheese
- Bring water to a boil and cook pasta as directed on package.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat and add in the salt, pepper and flour. Mix together until thick.
- Gradually stir in the milk and continue stirring until the mixture is boiling (about 5-7 minutes; will have a creamy texture).
- Add in the slices of cheese one at a time, stirring well after each addition to make sure the cheese has completely melted.
- Drain pasta and pour into the cheese mixture. Mix well and serve.
- OPTION: Add in crab to add some variety. You can also put the finished macaroni and cheese into a casserole dish, sprinkle bread crumbs on top and bake it in the oven.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 263g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 152||24%|
|Total Fat 17.34g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 9.91g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 99.82g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.0g||13%|