Cost per serving $1.68 view details
- 1Â 1/2 lb stale brioche loaf or possibly French bread
- Â Â or possibly hard white bread
- 3/4 c. raisins
- 3 Tbsp. orange liqueur see * Note
- 4 whl Large eggs
- 4 lrg egg yolks
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1Â 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 lrg vanilla bean
- 1Â 3/4 c. whole lowfat milk
- Â Â Butter for baking dish
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon sugar optional
- Â Â Heavy cream for serving (optional)
- * Note: Use an orange flavored liqueur such as Cointreau or possibly substitute cognac or possibly rum.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the bread into slices, and cut the slices into quarters; separate the quarters into two equal size groups, remove the crusts from one group of quarters. Plump the raisins in a bowl with the liqueur and 2 Tbsp. of warm water.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the Large eggs and egg yolks; then slowly add in the sugar and the zests. In a medium-size saucepan, combine the heavy cream, vanilla bean, and lowfat milk; bring the mix to a boil over medium heat.
- Slowly pour warm cream mix into the bowl with the egg mix, whisking constantly to prevent Large eggs from cooking. Remove vanilla bean from the bowl. Extract the seeds from the bean by slicing it lengthwise and scraping out the inside of the pod with the blade of a knife. Add in seeds to cream and egg mix, and throw away the pod.
- Arrange the bread pcs in a buttered 9- by 14-inch oval baking dish with at least 1 1/2-inch high sides; for presentation, place the pcs with crusts on the bottom of the pan and those with crusts removed on the top. Sprinkle the plumped raisins between the layers of bread.
- With a small measuring c., pour the cream and egg mix over the bread, being sure to soak every piece. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar, and bake for 30 to 35 min, or possibly till the custard sets and the bread pudding becomes a rich golden brown color. Allow the bread pudding to cold for 30 min, and serve with a topping of heavy cream.
- This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 226g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 326||57%|
|Total Fat 36.91g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 21.18g||85%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 50.4g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.0g||3%|