A wonderful Caribbean inspired dish for two....with a nice blend of citrus and herbs.
Cost per serving $2.24 view details
- 2 rock cornish hens
- 1 package of long grain wild rice
- 1 can of red kidney beans ( use 1/3 of the can and freeze the rest )
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tsp rosemary & thyme
- 1/4 onion, garlic liquid seasoning
- Lemon, lime and orange
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Glaze/ Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh chopped ginger
- 1 mango ( sliced and mashed )
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup garlic/onion liquid wine seasoning
- 2 tblsp brown sugar
- dash of black pepper
- pinch of cinamon
- fresh lemon squeezed
- Use the sauce for Gravy
- 2 chicken bouillion cubes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Cook rice according to the directions, add 1/3 can or red kidney beans during the cooking time, then let cool and let cool.
- Rinse the cornish hens, patting dry before stuffing the cavities with wildrice. Season the hens with herbs. Slice the onion in quarters and put around the sides of the hens in the roasting pan. Add the liquid wine seasoning.
- Put all sauce ingredients into a blender until smooth. Baste the cornish hens with the mango sauce. Keep adding it continually throughout the cooking time.
- Cook the carrots until el dente ( still crisp ). Grill the asparagus in a skillet with chopped garlic cloves until tender adding the carrots half way through the process.
- Cook the hens for 35-45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Cook until hens are golden brown.
- Remove hens from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Add bouillion cubes to the roasting pan and use the remainder of the mango sauce with water. Heat gravy and then add cornstarch to thicken the gravy to the desired consistency.
- Garnish the cornish hens with fresh parsley sprigs, orange amd lemon wedges and lime slices and mango slices.
- Serves 2
- Pair with an Australian Shiraz wine. We used our own bottle Moonlight Moments shiraz:)
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 579g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 60||11%|
|Total Fat 6.8g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 1.71g||7%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 108.08g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 17.8g||59%|