Mama says you can just put the chicken in the bowl and pour the seasoned buttermilk over it and turn to coat...then you won't run out of buttermilk before you reach the last piece.
Also if not using the wine... you might need a little more buttermilk.
She wanted her Italian Fried Chicken to taste a little more like KFC.
You can substitute some other type of flour such as All Purpose or Almond Meal for the Chestnut flour. Add an egg if you like the flavor but the cornflakes will stick on without it.
Tempting, Easy and Low Fat!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cost per serving $0.72 view details
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 C. White wine (optional)
- 1 Envelope Ranch Dressing Powder
- 1/2 C. Bulgarian Buttermilk
- 1 T. Basil Pesto
- 2 C. Crushed Cornflakes Breakfast Cereal (Generic yes..Frosted No)
- 2 T. Finely Ground Chestnuts flour
- 1/4 t. Italian Mixed dried herbs
- 1/8 t. Dried Ground Sage
- 1/8 t. Onion Powder
- 1/8 t. Celery Salt
- 1/8 t. Pie Spice
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil Spray
- Rinse and clean chicken thoroughly with salt water.
- Splash white wine on chicken if desired.
- Score the thickest part of the breast and tap holes through it. Then press it out a little so it will cook more evenly.
- Crush Cornflakes cereal or use processor to make a semi coarse texture...about 6 C. Cereal flakes=2 C. Crumbs.
- Add Chestnut Flour to corn flakes and a little bit of the ranch dressing powder then combine.
- Add remaining Ranch dressing powder and other seasonings to buttermilk and combine.
- Heat Electric broiler to 375F set rack to Middle position..
- Dip chicken breast in seasoned buttermilk then place on plate of crumb mixture and let rest until the crumbs are secure.
- Turn chicken over to coat other side the same.
- Hold chicken breast with fork and spray Nonstick Olive Oil spray on both sides.
- Place Breaded chicken breasts on nonstick baking pan.
- Place pan under broiler for 8 minutes then start checking doneness.
- Mine was ready at 11 minutes but I pressed mine out fairly thin. A thicker piece will of course take longer and should be baked instead of broiled.
- Serve with more Pesto Ranch dressing.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 70g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 46||43%|
|Total Fat 5.15g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.87g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 1.25g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|