This is a wonderfully flavored pork stew with warm flavors of curry, ginger and basil mixed with spicy cayenne pepper. If you're serving to kids, cut the cayenne back to 1/2 teaspoon and add more to the bowls of the adults.
- 3 Tbsps minced garlic
- 2 Tbsps curry powder
- 2 Tbsps ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper. or to taste
- 2 pounds boneless Boston butt or picnic shoulder or country style pork ribs cut into 1 inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 2 med onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsps minced fresh ginger
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced (or use one 14.5oz can, diced tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped basil
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
- 3 Tbsps fresh lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 5 dashes Tabasco sauce. or to taste
- 1 tspn brown sugar
- Combine the garlic, curry powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne in a large bowl. Dry the pork cubes with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss with the spice mix to coat.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 5-inch-deep Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the pork and brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a platter, and discard the
- oil in the pot.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pot and heat over medium-high. Add the onions and saute untilgolden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Add the ginger and tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes more. Return meat to the pot, add the soy sauce, coconut milk, and wine, and bring to a simmer. Skim any film off then cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the meat is very tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Combine the basil, mint, cilantro, peanuts, lime, Tobasco, and brown sugar in a small bowl and mix. Place a generous helping of stew in each bowl, top with 1-2 tablespoons of the garnish, and serve with white or brown jasmine rice.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 317g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 197||53%|
|Total Fat 22.66g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 12.09g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 11.91g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|