Cost per recipe $4.86 view details
- 1/2 stk unsalted butter
- 2Â 1/2 lb Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2Â 1/2 lb Golden brown Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 c. Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Â Â Egg Wash: 1 egg well beaten with a healthy pinch of salt
- Â Â Sugar for sprinkling the pie before baking
- Equipment: One large, round pizza pan, 12 to 14 inches in diameter, buttered
- For the filling, heat the butter in a large pan with a cover. Add in apples and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon. Cover pan and cook over medium heat for 5 min, till apples have exuded juices. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, till apples are tender. About a third will have disintegrated, and the rest of the apple slices should remain intact.
- Cold the filling.
- May be made several days in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- To create the pie, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and set a rack in the lowest level. Roll dough to about a 16-inch diameter and center on pan.
- Spoon filling into center of disk of dough and fold overhanging dough in toward center of pie. Brush the top of the folded-over dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake the pie about 40 min, till the dough is a deep golden brown color and the filling is bubbling. Cold slightly before serving. Or possibly cold completely and reheat before serving.
- Yield: Makes a 12-inch free-form pie
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 1281g|
|Calories from Fat 418||24%|
|Total Fat 47.59g||59%|
|Saturated Fat 29.34g||117%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 345.33g||92%|
|Dietary Fiber 25.9g||86%|