Cost per serving $0.88 view details
- 1 lb grnd beef
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 dsh freshly-grnd black pepper
- 4 x plain hamburger buns
- Yellow mustard as needed
- Chopped onion as needed
- Dill pickle slices as needed
- Brown grnd beef in a large skillet over medium-low heat. As the meat cooks use a wooden spoon (or possibly a potato masher) to chop the meat into fine, rice-size pcs. Drain fat.
- Add in salt and pepper and continue to stir over low heat for 5 more min.
- Build each sandwich by pressing the warm grnd beef into a 1/2 c. measuring c.. Dump the meat onto the bottom of a plain hamburger bun.
- Add in mustard on the top bun, along with pickles and chopped onion if you like. Top off the sandwich, then heat it up in your microwave oven for 10 to 15 seconds to hot the buns. Serve with a spoon as they do in the restaurants.
- This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.
- Comments: It's been an Iowa tradition since 1926 and one of our long-time requested items at TSR. Even TV comedienne Roseanne and her Iowa native ex-husband Tom Arnold spoke many salivating praises of Maid-Rites when they shared a home together in the state. There are now 83 Maid-Rite stores located throughout Iowa and seven other Midwestern states.
- Although the sandwich is not much more than a traditional hamburger with the grnd beef arranged uncompressed on the bun, the product has a huge cult following. And since the meat is loose, the sandwich is served with a spoon for scooping up the grnd beef which will inevitably fall out.
- This Top Secret Recipe isn't so much about ingredients as it is about technique. You want to be sure to chop the grnd beef thoroughly as it cooks so which you get tiny rice-size pcs. Then when you build your sandwich, you firmly press the beef into a 1/2-c. measuring c.. Dump the meat onto the bottom of plain hamburger bun; add in your choice of mustard, onions, and pickles; ready a spoon, and dig in.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 182g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 192||49%|
|Total Fat 21.29g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 8.2g||33%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 23.64g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.4g||5%|