Cost per serving $0.72 view details
- 1 lrg Onion, minced
- 1 x Red bell pepper, seeded, minced
- 2 ounce Unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. All-purpose flour
- 3 c. Lowfat milk
- 1Â 1/2 tsp Grnd cumin
- 1/2 tsp Grnd coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 lb Elbow macaroni
- 2 x Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, minced
- 3/4 lb Monterey Jack cheese with warm peppers, coarsely grated
- Â Â Salt, freshly grnd pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1Â 1/2 c. Fine, fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 c. Yellow cornmeal
- Â Â Minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a large, shallow baking dish (at least 4 qts).
- 2. Cook the onion and bell pepper in the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring, till they are softened. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, 3 min. Stir in the lowfat milk; heat the mix to a boil, stirring, and simmer 5 min. Stir in cumin, coriander seed and 1/2 tsp. salt; remove from heat.
- 3. Cook macaroni in a kettle of boiling salted water till it is al dente, 8 to 10 min. Drain well and transfer it to a large bowl. Add in the sauce, tomatoes, Monterey Jack and salt and pepper to taste; mix well. Transfer the macaroni mix to the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- 4. For the topping, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in bread crumbs, cornmeal and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, till the mix is golden brown. Stir in cilantro.
- 5. Sprinkle the topping over macaroni mix. Bake the macaroni and cheese till warm, bubbly and slightly browned at the edges, about 1 hour.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 274g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 210||39%|
|Total Fat 23.6g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 14.35g||57%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.99g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.2g||11%|